Sunday, May 11, 2014

Glock 17 vs. Glock 19: Go Big or Go Home


I'm not gonna lie; there are two facts that define every aspect of my decision to purchase a Glock 17 and carry it in a Blade-Tech Phantom:*


  1.  Everybody says the Glock 19 is the perfect size for every job.
  2. Nobody puts baby in a corner and you ain't the boss of me.
These were, it must be admitted, not the whole story. It turns out that even though I don't like to be told what to do, the grip on a Glock 17 really does tend to poke out at people like an inconvenient erection (only smaller, ladies.)  This has led to a new plan: sell the XD, purchase a Glock 19, and carry that, possibly while sending the 17 off to get cut down for 19 magazines (but probably not, as that smacks of effort, and, when you think about it, you only need one Glock 19 carry magazine at a time. Having three factory G19 magazines, I have enough to carry it forever, 'cause I can always just carry G17 mags on the belt for every purpose. The G19 mag's only virtue, after all, is relative stubbiness.

Anyway, you ever start to talk yourself into something, and then hear the issue reframed so brilliantly that you realize you've been wasting your time trying to think it through with your own feeble brain? Me, too.
Hat tip to ENDO



*Like PDB, I like the Phantom. Unlike PDB, I'm not quite ready to declare it better than everything else. Also, I broke mine as soon as I got it in a way that I think made it work (completely unintentionally) better for me. But as a way to spend $20 to have a safe, workable IWB holster without a long wait, it's brilliant.

2 comments:

Midwest Chick said...

Really, the only two comments I've got are: 1) where on your belt do you carry your Glock so that it looks like an erection? and 2) I think you doth protest too much about the size of 1.). ;-)

I like my SIGs and can't comment intelligently on Glocks so I had to go the smart-aleck route instead.

Don said...

1. I'm not sure I understand the question. Generally, I have it at about 1:00, what's commonly called AIWB, and carried with the sights nestled snugly against the body.
Wait, do you not?

I like SIGs and get a twinge to try a 229 or whatever it's called from time to time, but lately I'm beginning to have strange urges that involve revolvers.