Thursday, January 28, 2010

Low Carb Time

Going back to the only "diet" that ever really worked well for me after the kids came along (if you don't think dad puts on baby weight, look around next time you're at a short-people basketball game or dance recital.)

Right now I'm actually really enjoying it. I'm in that phase where the cravings for sugar and bread and rice start to subside, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is to get up and make a big sloppy omelet with cheese and onions and peppers and ham and pepper sauce and black coffee . . . . "diet food." Last night I made some sort of concoction of orange, lemon, pineapple and honey to glaze chicken and rice for the family, and I had two chicken breasts rubbed with lemon-pepper and a green pepper, quartered and sprinkled with chopped onions, parmesan, mozzarella and some green-olive-based stuff that The Boss over at TFL sent in a Christmas basket--it's like bruschetta without all the tomato. Delicious.

I doubt I'll lose much at this time. It's later, when the diet leads you to eat less and less, that you really shed pounds. In my experience, there's no "magic" to this diet the way the "eat more, lose weight!" crowd paints it. Instead, I found that after a week or two of splurging on cheese and bacon and steak, I ended up consistently eating under 2000 calories per day, most of them from protein, some from fat, and almost none from starch or sugar. Not magic, but it works.

4 comments:

10% said...

"some green-olive-based stuff that The Boss over at TFL sent in a Christmas basket--it's like bruschetta without all the tomato. Delicious."

Olive tapenade

Asphyxiated Emancipation said...

You may already be aware of this site, but: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Don said...

No, I'll have to read through it. Sometimes the "Primal Scream Diet" gurus are annoying, but I like simplicity.

10%, that's exactly what it is. Thanks!

Asphyxiated Emancipation said...

Yeah, it can get annoying, but I have found it useful for good workout tips and such. I lost 50 pounds last year within about 6 months, doing a WeightWatchers, which I found was steering me toward a more Primal sort of diet. I was able to keep it off after dropping weightwatchers by sticking close to a diet like you describe. I need to get back in the swing of exercise and diet again.