Friday, May 15, 2009

Second City Cop Takes Note of Dishonesty in Chicago

Apparently, the government of Chicago is not above using misleading statistics. I thought you should know, because frankly, I was shocked.
Here's the thing that bugs us most about the "low arrest numbers" memo being circulated around:
  • According to everything that HQ is releasing to the media, crime is down;
  • Homicides are down;
  • Burglaries, Robberies, even Thefts are down;
  • Gun Seizures are up (but over 200 of those "seized" were a gun collection owned by a cop who died...shhhhh);
  • Aggravated Batteries are up, but no one is talking about those, so they don't exist
Well, "shocked" is a strong word. But I very nearly raised my eyebrows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you seem to care most about gun laws. I agree that most of them are stupid. Half measures are just a waste of money and time.

The topic that has me pissed off is the sale of the parking meters. There must be some bribery there, and we should use that to put every one involved with that deal in jail.

Don said...

It sounds like we wouldn't agree on the efficacy of "full measures," but that's OK.

I have to drive into downtown Chicago on Tuesday, so we'll see how I feel about parking meters after that. I've heard there are meters in the high-bling districts where it takes 28 quarters to park--who carries that daily? Any tips on parking near the federal courts?

Oh, and are you familiar with the Expired Meter?
http://theexpiredmeter.com/