Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Right-to-Carry Town Hall Meeting . . . in Chicago!

Tomorrow night, the UTATU Collective (a student service group at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago) will host a Right-to-Carry informational town-hall meeting at the Carruthers Center for Inner-City Studies near the corner of Oakwood and Langley, just a few blocks off the lake on the south side of Chicago.

That's right, Chicago. And the night after that, there'll be an identical meeting in Elmhurst, IL--one of the most putatively anti-gun of the Chicago suburbs.

All the recent focus on McDonald v. Chicago has tended to take some focus off the very real political changes in Illinois regarding right-to-carry. Five or ten years ago I would have laughed at the idea of putting on a meeting like this one. Tomorrow I expect it to be packed.

I'm planning to make the drive; I've laid in a supply of audiobooks so I can take off after work tomorrow, zoom up to Chicago listening to Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter and then slog back home listening to The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by the late, great Carl Sagan. Thursday morning is going to suck. There was a time when I could drive eight hours in a night, roll into home at one or two in the morning, and be raring to go in the morning . . . . but that was before I got old.

3 comments:

Elmhurst Press said...

Don:

I'm a reporter with the Elmhurst Press. When Thursday evening and where in Elmhurst are you having the town-hall?

Let me know. Thanks,

Dave

Smershagent said...

Don, I just started reading "The Demon-Haunted World" this week; it's outstanding. Sagan's cautions about the perils of emotion and pseudoscience eclipsing real science struck me as especially relevant to Second Amendment politics (and politics in general for that matter). More often than not, unsubstantiated claims, alarmist rhetoric, and emotional appeals are what carry the day. I'm glad that's finally beginning to change in the realm of the right to keep and bear arms, at least.

Good luck at the meeting.

Don said...

Dave, the address is:

Thursday March 4, 2010
7:00-9:00 pm
Diplomat West Banquet Facility located at
601 West North Avenue
Elmhurst, Illinois 60126

But you can read all about how it was planned here: Dupage County Right-to-Carry Meeting