Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Speaking of Home Repairs and Children . . . .


. . . . well, maybe you weren't, but I was. To myself. Just now.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a photo of the light fixture in Kane's bedroom. He used to have a more conventional fixture--a three-speed ceiling fan with a nice, bright light for reading. But I made the rookie mistake of putting bunk beds in that room and not giving Kane his way about something or other (this would have been about three weeks ago.) What could be more natural than that he would then climb up on his bed, lean way out into space, and rip the ceiling fan right out of the ceiling?* I mean, that's what you'd do if you didn't get your way, right?
I'll replace it when I get around to it. I've got a lot of other work to do in this place.






*To be fair, he had a lot of help from the inbred monkey rednecks who owned this house before us. They did use a metal wiring box, which was a step up from the rest of the house, but they did not actually attach it to the ceiling joists. They just set it in (backwards!?!) and screwed the fan directly to the plaster-and-lath ceiling under their cheap institutional fiber tiles. A squirrel having a good day could have torn it down, so it had no chance against an enraged monkey.