Thursday, August 21, 2008

On a Jet Plane . . . .

God help me, I'm going to the airport this afternoon after work. I haven't flown since the early '90's (maybe the late '80's--I was a child fare, I know that much.) I expect changes for the worse. But this time tomorrow I should be getting ready to go see Blackhawk and Blackwater. I can't wait to meet the mercenaries! I'm hoping I can take a ride in a black helicopter.

The conversations among gun bloggers by email have already scared Para's management a little; I think they may be wondering whether this was a good idea, after all. Time will tell. Personally, I just want to shoot with Jarrett. I doubt things will get any more subversive than salty language and toilet humor.

If you don't hear from me again, the TSA has me in a re-education camp. Remember me as a peacemaker. I have the SIG locked up tight in a hard case, and I transferred all the ammunition to a factory Winchester box (even though my plastic ammo case would actually protect the primers better, it doesn't seem to be allowed.) The magazines, holster and mag carrier are in my checked bag. I think this all passes muster, but we'll see when I get there.

Special thanks to Laughingdog from the forums for giving me a place to stay tonight! This guy has no idea who I am, but he offered to pick me up from the airport. Of course, for all I know, he could be a slavering serial killer with a fat-guy-centered psychopathic complex, but life is all about managing risk, right?

I'm going to miss my family, but my parents are taking the boys tonight, so at least My Bride will have some peace and quiet. Besides, I left her a little surprise so she'd know I was thinking about her. :)

10 comments:

Irishdoh said...

Good luck and have fun!

Don said...

Well, I got off to a good start; the Camaro had a dead battery this morning. I had to jump it from 'Ol Red (the Mighty Truck) and then it seemed to be charging, at least according to the gauge. Unfortunately, by that time, I was already late for school, so I just hopped in. I did stop at the truck stop and pick up a portable booster/charger, which is now plugged in on my desk in case I need it later. The car did start at lunchtime, so I think it'll be OK.

Since it seems OK, I'm going to take it to St. Louis tonight and catch my flight. I'll probably disconnect the battery just in case, and I'll have the booster in the back seat if I need it, but it's still an adventure at 1:00 a.m. 90 miles from home.

Ain't we havin' fun?
:D

DJK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DJK said...

Oh Don, you didn't forget to flush the toilet again, did you?? Those aren't really "gifts". ;)

Don said...

Flowers and chocolate, you neanderthal. ;)

All right, I'm out of here. I've got a bit of a road trip to STL, and then I should be on a plane if they don't deport me to Last Remaining Soviet Enclave In Which Strip Search Performs YOU.

I even found two Terry Pratchett books for young adults in the library earlier. If I read those on the plane, I can write off the plane tickets on next year's taxes, right? Cost of doing business, Mr. Government Man.

DJK said...

Have fun, and GOOD THINKING about the taxes.

MauserMedic said...

Lucky dog....

Xavier said...

Enjoy Don! Good Luck. I want to see a pic of Jarrett wearing your orange hat, OK?

Don said...

OH, MY GOD. IT'S FULL OF STARS.

Anonymous said...

Non factory ammo boxes are OK as well as long as they are designed to hold ammo. Problem is not every airline clerk realizes this. Actually, loaded mags are also OK, as long as they are in a pouch that covers the mag completely. Even fewer clerks are aware of this one.