Sunday, August 31, 2008

Search Term Safari

Shamelessly stolen from Marko:

"I'm 27, I'm single, I'm a schoolteacher, and that's the pits"

Sadly, Google returned no results for the phrase in quotes. However, two of my pages popped up as alternate results, because if Google can't find what you're looking for as a phrase, it'll search for all the words. I'm betting this is a line from a movie, but I can't for the life of me tell you which one.

girard, IL whirl a whip

Ah, the Whirl-A-Whip. It's like something out of a John Cougar Mellencamp song. Jack and Diane could have gotten their chili dog at the Whirl-A-Whip, except that it doesn't rhyme with "knees." A small, family-owned ice cream and burger stand with outdoor tables under a tin roof, the Whirl-A-Whip offers homemade goodness. If you order a chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-ice-cream milkshake at the Whirl-A-Whip, they actually break open tubes of Pillsbury cookie dough and spoon chunks into the vanilla soft serve. The cookie dough is actually soft when you eat the thing, and therefore actually tastes like cookie dough. Cookie dough submerged in ice cream. Highly recommended if you're ever passing by Girard, which you will be if you ever travel Old Route 66 through Illinois.

symbol for teacher tattoo

That's actually a good question. I've been thinking about a set of grips for a pistol with some kind of teacher symbol on one side and a Star of Life on the other. I figure a lamp of knowledge is probably the technically correct choice, but personally, it's not something I'm interested in looking at for the rest of my life. Good luck. Think twice, tattoo once.

how do you tell a good knife from a bad knife

It really depends on you--what your needs are, how and why you're going to use the thing, and so on. I generally check to make sure everything on a folder operates smoothly. Both folders and fixed blades should be checked for flaws before you plunk down your lucre. And personally, I want to know how sharp it is. If it's not sharp, I generally sharpen it and do some cutting. You can save a lot of time by sticking to quality names. Case, Camillus, Benchmade, Spyderco . . . . and about a thousand others at the moment. This doesn't mean you won't get a lemon, but it means you're not starting out looking at junk.

NEVER pay money for anything marked "Pakistan" "4XXJ" or "surgical." Ditto "United."

Collectors have their own criteria, but often they're not looking for a "good" knife so much as a "collectible" knife.

how do i pick my video card

Hell if I know. Boy, did you bark up the wrong tree.

purse guy illinois

Hey, hey, hey! I'm a lot more than that! However, my purse is a Maxpedition Jumbo VersiPack, and it is awesome.

4 comments:

Turk Turon said...

That first one rang a bell:

Etta Place: I'm 26, and I'm single, and a school teacher, and that's the bottom of the pit. And the only excitement I've known is here with me now. I'll go with you, and I won't whine, and I'll sew your socks, and I'll stitch you when you're wounded, and I'll do anything you ask of me except one thing. I won't watch you die. I'll miss that scene if you don't mind.

Don said...

Ah HA! That makes more sense. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. So we're not crazy.

Less said...

Hehehe...

Think twice, tattoo once.

;)

Jeff Pulice said...

knife: my EDC is a Swiss Army one-hand opener; I got it in Florence, Italy last Christmas Eve. I sometimes carry a Leatherman Wave- and then, my pants fall to the floor in front of the urinal.
a Teacher tattoo? I have a line from 'Julius Caesar' on my back...it's pretty nerdy, pretty teacher-y.

BTW: kudos on the DLK 'hugger' incident. That schoolteacher instinct: if 90 percent of the kids around you lie 90% of the time, you learn to smell BS.