Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If You're reading this . . . .


Then you're either here for the first time, or you've found me again. Many people who read this blog (well, if there were many) might wonder what's going on. Simply put, what's going on is that I've decided that the old title of this blog caused me too much heartburn when I had to deal with people who didn't appreciate the fine distinction. I'm a school teacher, and I'm also a gun-rights activist and an avid shooter and collector, but none of that means I would carry a firearm onto school property. My professional life and my personal life are separate.

Besides, I've always thought there should be a blog called "Pull the Push Door." I don't really know why.

I'm not saying that Gary Larson's classic Far Side cartoon on the right (heh heh . . . we can call that fair use, right guys? Right?) Larson captured so many things that seemed unearthly weird, but a man could generally relate to each piece in some way. Well, I could, anyway. I was never like that kid, though. I mean, I went to a lot of "gifted" classes and such, and I pushed on a few pull doors, but never actually one at a school for the gifted.

(However, I did spend a weekend at a "School for the Gifted" that shall remain nameless, where the sales pitch included an explanation that automobiles were prohibited, the suicide rate was still enormous but really starting to come down, and then we all went to a pep rally for the soccer team at which the school's own mascot was burned in effigy.)

14 comments:

Mulligan said...

push
door won't open
push harder

:)

Matt G said...

I've been frustrated when seeing blog links to you that imply that you are "Armed At School." I hope that you'll leave those old posts up, and link from here. There's some good stuff there.

Don said...

Look around, big guy. All the old stuff is still here, I just removed a couple of minor details and changed the name. You know me; I don't hide who I am. I just couldn't shake the nagging feeling that the old AST title was giving the wrong impression of who I am.

I'm capable of following even pointless rules if I decide it's the right thing to do.

Melissa said...

Is it a coincidence that I pushed the pull door at school today? Love the new title, but I love you more.

Anonymous said...

I saw your letter to the editor in the SJR today... FANTASTIC LETTER!


LonghornJeff

Don said...

Oh, good, they published it. Don't tell them I don't subscribe, so I only find out if other people see them.

:)

Old NFO said...

Love the title!

Will said...

That comic strip would be me. Only, it's glass doors that nail me. Ones that have "pull" lettered on the opposite side. I read the reverse image word without noticing anything odd about it, and there I go, wondering why it won't open. Asperger's strikes again. :)

Anonymous said...

Gah! You really scared me for the three minutes it took me to google you! I typed in the normal address and got a "blog not found" error.

I'll be a bit sad to see the old address go, but I do enjoy new one. Good choice.

Ratus said...

Don ,

fix your rss feed, it keeps sending me to thearmedschoolteacher.blogspot.com

thanks

Jay G said...

I can totally understand the name change.

But, more importantly, y'all went and added me to your blogroll! YAY!

Will update on Friday and reciprocate the linky love, Don.

Salamander said...

AHA! I found you! It's weird when you lose a daily read.

I've updated my blogroll to reflect the name change.

Anonymous said...

"Besides, I've always thought there should be a blog called "Pull the Push Door." I don't really know why."

Your blog is called Push the Pull door.

Don said...

Oh, sure, throw THAT back in my face . . . .

:D