Monday, March 23, 2009

Farewell, My Bitchin' Camaro



I went out and started up the Camaro this afternoon just to make sure, and it purred like a kitteh and held 185 degrees rock-steady. Sweet. Between the new muffler, new belts, hoses, water pump, coolant flush and fill, fuel pump, tire repairs, console repair, new struts in the back hatch and a lot of detailing, it was starting to look good even to me. Then I called up "John," our prospective buyer, and told him I'd just started her up and she was running great.

"That's good!" he replied. "I got my friend with me to drive it and I'm actually on my way over there to see you." And he was. He pulled up a few minutes later with the asking price in crisp bank bills. We signed the title over to him, gave him the box and remote control for the stereo (We don't be pimpin' enough to use no remote control for no car stereo, but you never know.) He was excited to get the car; I was excited to get it out of the driveway, and the money comes at a good time, too.

When he left, I thought about the simplicity of our little capitalist free-market transaction. He wanted the car more than he wanted the money--presumably, he thought it was worth more than I was asking, and he felt like he was getting the best of the deal. I wanted the money much more than the car (I've already noticed that the bills take up a lot less room than the car, and I don't have to wonder which neighborhood punk is going to key them tonight.) and would have sold for a little less than he gave me. Nobody had to subsidize the transaction. Nobody had to force us, either. Each side wanted to make a deal, so the deal was made. There are people out there who would say I took advantage of him because I sold him a car for asking price when I would have accepted less, but he was shown every known problem the car had and he still wanted it. I gather he's got a lot more garage space than I do, and I expect to see the car around town in much better shape soon.

There are also people who will say I got taken because he would have paid more. Maybe he would have, but I wanted the car gone ASAP more than I wanted a few extra dollars, so I made some repairs and left the price the same. I didn't get cheated, because I knew what I was doing and chose what was most important to me. If he fixes it up and makes a fantastic ride out of it . . . good for him! The bottom line is that a buyer and a seller found each other, decided that each wanted what the other had, and made a deal to get it in such a way that everyone walked away with a big smile on his face. That's how a free market works, and I can't figure out why it's so controversial.

And with that . . . . goodbye, Bitchin' Camaro. You will be missed . . . because you finally went away.

4 comments:

Chris said...

If you get a new car you should get something larger.

I can't tell you how happy I've been since I got my Flex with all the room I have now.

Don said...

I got the upgrade last fall--that's why I really needed to get rid of the Slowmaro. It's been out front for months.

My new ride is nowhere near as flashy as yours, but it's paid for. ;) And turbocharged.

Jeff Pulice said...

was it a '68? I had a white '68 Camaro for about 2 years. My Dad's racer friend dropped in a racing engine without all the necessary bracing and buttressing; I just needed a car and he handed it over. No RS or Super Sport, but Wow. Very fast, very smooth. Can't believe I sold it to get a Honda Accord.

Anonymous said...

酒店小姐
酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店經紀
酒店兼差
酒店打工
酒店上班
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領